CAA 2023 Call for Proposals
New York, NY, February 15—18, 2023 (FULL DETAILS TO BE DETERMINED)
The CAA Annual Conference is the largest convening of art historians, artists, designers, curators, and visual arts professionals. Each year we offer sessions submitted by our members, committees, and affiliated societies; delivering a wide range of program content. Review more details about the program on this page.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO SUBMIT
- Your individual CAA Member account and password. Sign into the portal with your CAA Member credentials if prompted, you will then return to the submission form.
- If you have never been a member of CAA, you will be prompted to create an account with us, and may submit before joining.
- Upon acceptance to the conference, non-member and lapsed member submitters must join within 90 days or be removed from the program.
- Title and abstract (250 words max.) for your session or presentation.
- CVs (shortened CVs preferred) are collected for session chairs, discussants, and for individual presentation submissions.
- Session submitter must enter complete information for all session participants; presentation titles, session and paper abstracts (250 words max.), chair and discussant CVs. Participants can be added to your session by searching by either name or email and must have a record with us.
- The five CAA Fields of Study that best represent your proposal. The first five selected will be used to filter submissions during the review process, and are later searchable in the conference schedule, see example from CAA 2022. Review list as pdf at this link.
- Possible scheduling conflicts and other logistical considerations.
- [Optional] You may include images with your session or presentation proposal. This is optional and is meant to complement your abstract. You may include up to 5 images, in jpeg format. Each image may be no larger than 10 MB.
- [Optional] Content Threads are three indexes that submitters can choose to list their content in. These indexes will show in the CAA 2023 conference schedule in addition to Fields of Study. See example from 2022, selection does not impact the review process.
- Many questions may be answered at our Proposals FAQ page.
PROPOSAL SUBMISSION INFORMATION
- Please follow the Chicago Manual of Style for your submission.
- All abstract proposals must be no longer than 250 words.
- Submissions may be started and worked on during multiple visits to the submission portal before the deadline.
- The accuracy of information in the submission is important as, if selected, it will be transferred to the conference program, abstract pdf, website, etc., exactly as written.
CONFERENCE PARTICIPATION RULES
- All session participants must be CAA Individual Members from acceptance through the conference dates.
- All session participants must register for the conference (registration opens in October).
- Your session, presentation, or paper content may not have been published previously or presented at another scholarly conference.
- There are three ways to participate at CAA: all session participants may take part in the conference in up to three ways each year. They may serve as a: 1) Session Chair; 2) Paper/Project Presenter; 3) Session Discussant. Each member may not, however, serve in any single role more than once per conference.
- Presenters may submit to multiple sessions but may deliver only one presentation during the conference. If you have multiple accepted presentations, you must withdraw all but one by notifying the Chair(s).
- If your Individual Paper/Presentation proposal was accepted during CAA's spring submission call, you may still apply to a session listed in the summer Call for Participation. However, if accepted to multiple sessions, you must withdraw all but one accepted presentation per conference.
- You may participate in consecutive conferences.
Please be sure to confirm dates regularly as they may shift, thank you for your understanding. This list is up to date as of March 4, 2022.
- March 14 - April 26, 11:59pm EDT: Submissions accepted for CAA 2023.
- May - June: Review by the Council of Readers and the Annual Conference Committee.
- Mid July: Acceptance notifications sent to submitters.
- July 21 - August 31: Chairs of accepted Sessions Soliciting Contributors will accept presentation proposals directly from submitters during the Call for Participation.
- September 14: Deadline for Chairs of Sessions Soliciting Contributors to make their decisions, directly notify their accepted presenters and add to Session entry.
- February 15-18,2023: CAA 2023 Annual Conference [full details to be determined]
Page updated March 4, 2022. Check back regularly for updates!